A national identification number, national identity number, or national insurance number is used by the governments of many countries as a means of tracking their citizens, permanent residents, and temporary residents for the purposes of work, taxation, government benefits, health care, and other governmentally-related functions. The number appears on identity documents issued by several countries.
In the case of Nigeria, the National Identification Number (NIN) is an 11 digit number assigned to an individual after the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).
The NIN is used to sync all records about an individual in the database and is also used to establish or verify his/her identity.
All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria are eligible to enrol for their NINs. Having the identification number is very important to residents as going forward, the number is required when opening a bank account, getting a mobile number, International passport and drivers licence.
Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip (Preview)
Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At Enrolment Center you will be directed to a counter where our Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, Enrolment officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten fingerprints and facial image) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as evidence of the transaction.
- Applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents/guardians can do the form filling for them.
- Minor applicants should only bring an original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parent / Guardian.
- The normal time frame for issuance of National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrolment centres.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to validation of details at NIMC.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by the applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment
Other Enrollment Centres
These Zenith Bank branches.