Olive oil is associated with many health benefits. The beneficial health effects of olive oil are believed to be due to its high content of oleic acid and to its high content of polyphenols and antioxidants.
Diets high in fat may increase the risk of certain diseases such as diabetes. However recent studies have shown that it is the type of fat in the diet that is important rather than the amount of fat. A recent Spanish study published in the scientific journal Diabetes Care showed that a Mediterranean style diet rich in monounsaturated fat such as the ones found in olive oil, nuts and seeds can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes by almost 50%.
We have complied Olive Oil uses in different ways, from how it can be used as food, on hair, skin and others. Check this post to see the different types of Olive Oil.
Olive Oil Uses
1. Source of Mono-saturated fatty acids: Looking to shed some extra pounds? Switch to a diet that has least intake of trans fats. Olive oil is profuse with monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), a healthy fat that helps battle heart disease, cholesterol,and even blood sugar. Experts suggest that it is higher in MUFAs than sesame, coconut, rapeseed, sunflower and corn oil!
2. Source of Good Cholesterol: Olive oil promotes the flow High-density lipoproteins or HDL which is called the good cholesterol, which scavenges the blood stream of plaque and toxin formation.
3. Good for hearth Health: Diets with high in MUFAs are linked to a healthy heart and fewer strokes. Olive oil’s ability to limit LDL or bad cholesterol further bolsters the heart Health. And prevents strokes.
4. Good For Digestion: Olive oil can also work wonders for your gastrointestinal tract and colon. Olive oil helps stimulates the digestive system, making food move smoothly through the colon. Rich in mono-saturated fats, olive oil helps in better mobility of food through the colon. This also helps speeding up bowel movement thereby constipation. Mixing a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice can be an effective remedy for constipation.
5. May Treat Depression: Experts have said that Olive oil can increase the levels of serotonin, the brain chemical that is also called the happiness hormone. Majority of the anti-depressants also steer towards stimulating the production of serotonin.
6. Promotes brain health: The good amounts of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids present in extra virgin olive oil are good for brain and memory power.
7. Pain reliever: Oleocanthal, a compound present in the olive oil, lends olive oil immense anti-inflammatory properties, thereby making olive oil an excellent pain reliever be it externally or internally
Apart from the multiple skin benefits, olive oil can do wonders for your skin, beauty and hair too. Olive oil is packed with Vitamin E, and K which can come to the aid of several of your hair and skin woes. Here’s a roundup of Olive Oil uses for skin, hair and beauty and how to use the wonder oil to your best advantage.
Olive Oil Uses for skin
8. Moisturizes your skin: Olive oil contains vitamin E, which improves skin health by treating inflammation, acne, and dryness. It also improves skin elasticity and its regenerative properties. The anti-oxidants, minerals and good fats, fight the free radicals, and facilitate healthy and fuller skin respectively.
9. Reduces wrinkles and signs of ageing: A face pack made with olive oil( 2 tablespoon), and lemon juice(1 tablespoon), and a pinch of sea salt, can rejuvenate your skin, and prevent it from sagging and other signs of ageing. Massage your face thoroughly, and repeat the regime at least three times a week. This would give you instant results.
10. Nail Health: Your nails need as much attention as your skin, simply dip a cotton ball in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and dab it on your nails, the vitamin E in olive oil helps bring your dry brittle nails back to life.
11. Can be used as a shaving foam substitute: Pressed for time? Can’t go for waxing? Razor to the rescue! But beware, make sure you only use shaving foam or cream and not go for soap. It can be rough on your skin. If you have run out of shaving cream, olive oil can be a good substitute to glide your blade over. Olive oil moisturizes the skin as well.
12. Treats cracked heels: Exfoliate your cracked heels, with a tablespoon of olive oil and lemon water, and see the instant results for yourself.
Olive Oil Uses For Hair
13. Treats Dandruff: Olive oil moisturizes your hair and reduces scalp irritation, which further reduces dandruff. Just heat a cup of olive oil and massage hair generously, especially on the scalp and the ends. Let it sit for 20 minutes, post which rinse your hair with mild shampoo.
14. Moisturizes Your Hair: The hair smoothening and strengthening qualities of Olive oil is fast gaining recognition throughout the world. Bring your lifeless locks back to life, with the moisturizing hair pack of olive oil (1/2 teaspoon), honey(2 tablespoon) and a protein rich egg yolk. Mix the ingredients thoroughly to get a smooth paste. Apply the paste onto your hair and let it sit for twenty minutes, and then rinse off with cold water. Follow the regime twice a week.
15. Promotes Hair Growth: Olive Oil is rich in Vitamin E which makes your hair strong and prevents hair fall. Massaging regularly with olive oil can also fix the problem of split ends.
More Incredible Olive Oil Uses You May Not Have Known About
16. You can use olive oil to remove car grease or paint from your hands: Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt or sugar in a bowl. Now rub the mixture into every corner of your hand and fingers wherever the grease is for a while and finally wash it off with soap and water.
17. You can use olive oil as your in-house furniture polish too: Mix 2 parts olive oil and 1 part lemon juice in a clean container, preferably a spray bottle,. Shake the mixture an spray it on to your furniture. Leave on the mixture for a minute or two, then wipe off with a clean paper towel, and see your old furniture revive its original sheen. You can also apply olive oil straight from the bottle onto a paper towel and apply it on to the furniture for effective results.
18. Helps Dilute Ear Wax: Here’s why using olive oil to clean ear wax can be a good idea. Olive oil softens the cerumen impaction in the ear canal, which further goes deep into the inner ear canal. Olive oil helps soften the hardened wax chunks. Once sufficiently softened, the wax gets broken down into smaller and softer pieces, and often moves to the outer edge of your air canal, making it easier to clean.